Drawings by an unknown artist

I got these pictures at the boot a while back then I squirrelled them away and forgot about them. Here they are after their long maturing process and I love them even more the second time around. As I bought them I felt a bit of a nob for purchasing childrens' drawings. Then a bloke came and picked them all up, asked the price and shot me a filthy look when I said I'd just bought them. So that made me feel much better and in my head I was all like 'Yeah! screw you buddy! I'm the winner! . . . you're the loser! don't mess with the Jo! . . . sucker!' and so on.
Photobucket
Anyway, what I like most is the amount of detail and the spacing; the harbour wall in this one, and the severe quiff at bottom right.
Photobucket
A very fine explosion and some even finer slacks in this one.
Photobucket
Men cutting down a tree in the distance.
Photobucket
A prominent pylon, power lines going over the hill and something just visible behind the hay stack.
Photobucket
Someone fishing off the bridge and a crane loading an enormous crate of eggs.
Can you date them? Might they be done in the 50s? I'm trying to glean their date from the hair styles, cars and general feel.

2 comments:

  1. hiya Jo, dating these pictures is hard! a couple of clues possibly? there are quite a few cars in the pictures and a number of baseball caps being worn by various workers. i am going to say 60's, mildly educated guess. 50's may be pushing it, unless they are not baseball caps but are instead heavily laquered quiffs, making you correct. in which case congratulations! you win 5 pounds! see you thursday x Dale

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I see your point, the guys are a bit cool for 50s maybe.
    I really hope they are heavily lacquered quiffs though - I could really do with that fiver.

    ReplyDelete

Hello