Festive.

For some years now my family have made these special satsuma lanterns at Christmas time. It's the perfect tradition for Christmas day - a little bit tricky (so insanely rewarding), very beautiful, sweet smelling and it also provides a little break from all the traditions that involve gorging on lard.
Photobucket
First you have to herd all the little satsumas together and single one out. You should use a knife to score around the middle of your chosen fruit - cutting through the skin but not cutting the fruit in half.
Photobucket
Then you need to carefully weedle the skin off the fruit without breaking it, you need to really teasle it at the top of the clementine where the stalk is because . . . Photobucket
. . . you're aiming to preserve the little bit of pith that joins the segments - it will act as a wick. Bloomin ingenious.
Pour a little bit of oil into this half and set it aside to soak in. You can use any cooking oil, I like olive oil because it adds to the nice smell when you burn it.
Photobucket
Cut some holes into the top half, it's good to have a hole right at the very top to act like a small chimney.
Photobucket
Then it's time to light the little beauty. This can be tricky, I find it's best to tilt the whole thing and get the flame under the wick.
Photobucket
And there you go! So beautiful! All the best colours and all the best smells.
Photobucket
Put them on a saucer for safety, and for reflecting the light, and for showing off your posh tea set. I don't have a posh tea set but something with a little lustre would be stonking.
Photobucket
They'll burn for much longer than you'd imagine and make the place look and smell almost too festive.
Photobucket
There you have it, I hope you try it out. Send me a picture if you do, I'd love to see any successes, any beautifully illuminated saucers. It's a nice thing to do together before you slip into a coma in front of the telly.

5 comments:

  1. Love it. I got shown how to do this only last year. Can't believe I wasted 28 years of my life not knowing this little bit of magic! x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your blog. All your photos are lovely and this idea plus the herb wreath is fab! Happy new year. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Jessica, so glad you like the blog - I like yours too.
    And thank you Emma, it is a bit magic I agree . . . sorry to hear about the wasted life though, hope you make enough satsuma lanterns to make up for it now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mine needs some serious updating, it's on my list of things to do!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just found your blog - I'll be back for more it's wonderful. I totally love the orange lanterns! I'm having a go now, olive oil just soaking in, I'll try and get a picture if I have any success.

    ReplyDelete

Hello